Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Testing of Faith

June 7, 2008 I married the most amazing woman in the world.  We had discussed before marriage that we wanted to have kids.  We agreed to wait two years before trying and pay off some debt.  May of  2009 we decided to go ahead and try for a child.  Thought that it would be simple, right.  I mean a lot of people have children each and every day.  It should be but the simplest thing to have a child.  I guess a little background would be in order.  My wife's family has never had an infertility issue.  They pretty much all got pregnant whenever they choose to do so.  My side of the family has about the same history of no fertility problems.  So you figure that with both of us together it wouldn't take but a month or so and bam we would be expecting a bundle of joy.  We joked about how we wouldn't be able to get any sleep for about 18 years after our child was born.  We had ideas about how to decorate his/her room depending on if it was a boy or girl.  We even threw around some names that could possibly be our childs name.  I thought of taking my son to the park and playing some ball.  Later I would teach him how to mow the lawn and change the oil in the car.  My wife envisioned our daughter learning how to cook and helping with chores around the house.  A couple of months went by and nothing.  Everybody we know was asking us if we were expecting yet.  I remember the look in my wife's eyes as she always politely explained that not this month but maybe next month.  I reminded her that it was in God's hands and there was little that we could do to effect it one way or another.  The Bible says in Psalm 127:3,"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."  I didn't know what else to tell me wife.  I couldn't answer the question why wouldn't God give us a child.  Nobody else I was close to was going through the same issue.  I never even thought of this problem before until we experienced it ourself.  How can anyone give advice, help, or support to someone that has never been through the same situation.  Others gave us words of encouragement but they had kids themselves.  It didn't seem fair or right.  I had to be the rock and be there for my wife, when I also didn't know why we weren't given a child.  Things looked bleak at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment